Part three by Julius de Waal

W. G. Bagnall was founded in 1875 by William Gordon Bagnall who took over the millwright business of Massey and Hill at Castle Engine Works, Stafford.

The first railway locomotive was completed in 1876. That year Bagnall was also an exhibitor at the Royal Agricultural Show at Birmingham with a brick press capable of pressing 20,000 a day. However, the majority of Bagnall products went on to be small four and six-coupled steam locomotives for industrial use, many of narrow gauge. Later they went on to build steam and diesel locomotives in standard as well as narrow gauges, including a batch of 100 GWR 5700s.

Bagnalls introduced several novel types of locomotive valve gear including the Baguley and the Bagnall-Price. It also used marine fireboxes on its narrow gauge engines. The company was taken over by Dorman Diesels and English Electric in 1962.

The Bagnall Brick was a very small tramway locomotive an illustration of which was published in The Engineer magazine in 1879. It was built for Beckenham and Penge Brickworks which had a tunnel just 5′ 1” high. The loco was built to fit, being 4′ 10 ½” from rail to chimney top.  It had been displayed on Bagnall’s stand at the Royal Agricultural Society show in 1879 complete with showy lining.

Click on drawings to download - for personal use only.

Julius’ drawings are based on a Gauge 1 design by Dave Watkins

which can be found here:

Part one here  Part two Part three