FLYING SCOTSMAN
BUILD IN 0 GAUGE
By Julius de Waal 
Part one - general arrangements/parts lists
M4. C4n

These drawings are for the Flying Scotsman in 0 Gauge. It is designed to be a static model, but builders who wish to run one will, I am sure, find ways to install a motor.

Arguably the most famous locomotive to be built, the LNER Class A3 Pacific  4472 Flying Scotsman  designed by Nigel Gresley was built in 1923 at Doncaster. It was employed on long-distance express trains, notably on the 10am London to Edinburgh Flying Scotsman service after which it was named. No 4472 set two world records: the first steam locomotive to be officially authenticated at reaching 100 miles per hour on 30 November 1934, and then setting a record for the longest non-stop run by a steam locomotive when it ran 422 miles (679 km) on 8 August 1989 while in Australia.

The locomotive was one of five Gresley Pacifics selected to haul the prestigious non-stop Flying Scotsman train service from London to Edinburgh, hauling the inaugural train on 1 May 1928. These locomotives ran with a new version of the large eight-wheel tender which held nine tons of coal. This and the usual facility for water replenishment from the water trough system enabled them to travel the 392 miles (631 km) from London to Edinburgh in eight hours non-stop. The tender included a corridor connection and tunnel through the water tank giving access to the locomotive cab from the train to permit replacement of the driver and fireman without stopping the train. The following year the locomotive appeared in the film The Flying Scotsman.

After retiring from regular service in 1963 and covering 2,076,000 miles  the locomotive was owned by several preservationists and today by the National Railway Museum. As well as hauling enthusiast specials in the UK, the locomotive toured extensively in the United States (from 1969 to 1973) and Australia (from 1988 to 1989).

The modeller has a real choice of colours to choose from. LNER passenger locomotives were always painted Apple Green. Construction was started under the auspices of the Great Northern Railway, initially carrying the GNR number 1472. During World War II, Flying Scotsman was repainted in wartime black, in common with all railway stock.  After the war, it became green again, and was rebuilt as an A3 Pacific. In 1948, rail travel in Britain was nationalized with the formation of British Railways. Scotsman, now numbered 60103, was painted blue for a time, then Brunswick Green. It remained in this colour until 1963, when it was retired by British Rail and after fears of scrapping was bought by railway preservationist Alan Pegler. He restored her to 1930s condition, and famously took it on a tour of the United States, for which it was fitted with a bell, headlamp and cowcatcher.

Financial issues meant that Pegler had to sell the engine to William McAlpine.By 1995, it was part-owned by Pete Waterman, and overhauled again. It was sold then to Tony Marchington in 1996. Tony continued to run it on mainline rail tours – but was back on sale a few years later owing to the high costs.

After a successful campaign, Flying Scotsman was returned to public ownership in 2004. The successful bid included £415,000 raised by the public and £365,000 donated by Sir Richard Branson, plus a £1.8m grant from the National Heritage Memorial Fund. Since that time, it has been going through a major restoration. Once that is complete, it will be back hauling mainline rail tours.


ED: This is a very detailed model and a major project even in 0 Gauge. Drawings run to more than 50 sheets. Readers are welcome to download these for their own personal use. These are large files and will have to be spread over some weeks for the benefit of those with download limits or slow download speeds.