T Barnes’

2.5” GAUGE LNER CLASS P1 MINERALS ENGINE No 2394

LNER Class P1 2-8-2 mineral engines were designed by Nigel Gresley and introduced in 1925 to haul daily coal trains of 100 wagons between Peterborough and London. They had 5’ 2” coupled wheels, three cylinders, Gresley conjugated valve gear and rear axle booster. Power came from an A1/A3 type boiler. Tender was 7 tons/4700 gallons. The locomotive weighed in at 100 tons and the tender 51tons 8cwt. and the length over the buffers was 69’10”. Two engines were built, nos 2393 and 2394.  Both were scrapped in 1945.

The model is based on 2394 as it would have appeared after 1938 with the booster and associated Westinghouse pump removed. The design is a modified version of  drawings from the Locomotive Design Company. Combined length of the model loco and tender is 37.5”. It was built on a Clarkes mini lathe and Clarkes micro mill. It is pictured at the Harrogate Exhibition in 2014.