Mark Angus’

McLAREN COMPOUND

TRACTION ENGINE

This half size McLaren traction engine is under construction by Mark Angus.

J&H McLaren was based in Hunslet, where it built traction engines, stationary engines and, later, diesel engines. The company was founded in 1876 by John and Henry McLaren. They had both been apprenticed to Black, Hawthorn & Co of Gateshead, builders of railway locomotive and marine engines. Their new Midland Engine Works was situated on Jack Lane in Hunslet, home of many great engineering companies of the time. The company rapidly developed a range of  traction engines, steam rollers, ploughing engines agricultural implements and stationary engines. Details of McLaren engines can be found at http://www.steamscenes.org.uk/engines/mclaren/

Drawings and castings for the McLaren compound are available from http://www.hpm-steam.co.uk