MY CORLISS

ENGINE BUILD

Part 25 by Vince Cutajar

Next I made the air inlet attachment from brass.

`

Finally, the process I hate most, painting.

Cleaned the base and lightly sanded it.  Masked off some parts I decided not to paint and plugged the various holes with match sticks and paper.

`

I then gave it an aluminium primer coat. 

`

After the primer dried, I applied a cream coloured base coat.

`

Left it to dry for 48 hours and then removed all the match sticks and tape covering the holes. I left the masking tape for the feet of the engine and also the air inlet.

`

Masked all the base again.

`

Patiently drew all the lines with a pencil. Next step is to cut out thin lines over the pencil lines.  I think this going to be the most critical part.

`

The width of the lines was eyeballed.  It took a while to finish as I took a lot of coffee breaks. At least I did not make any boo-boos like cutting in the wrong place.

`

A close-up of the completed cut lines.

`

Sprayed it all in a white colour.

`

Started the delicate process of removing the tape.

`

Managed to remove all the tape without incident.  It turned out okay.

`

And a close-up showing the flywheel well bolted up.

`

Also finished up the plumbing in the base

Just final assembly to go.


Drawings here

Part 24 here  Part 26  here

 
https://www.sarikhobbies.com/model-engineer-builder/

Modelengineeringwebsite.com

the only free and the only weekly magazine for model engineers. 

Editor: David Carpenter