W Scott’s



The Glen Class of locomotive from the North British Railway was among the most attractive from the turn of the century and is a popular choice for modellers. The K class 4-4-0 was designed by Matthew Holmes in 1902 and had 6’6” driving wheels for express passenger work. Three more batches (later LNER Classes D32/D33/D34) were designed by William P. Reid with 6’0” driving wheels for mixed traffic work.

On passing to the LNER they were divided into four classes:

LNER Class D26

Twelve engines ordered in March 1902 and built at Cowlairs railway works in 1903. Three were withdrawn in 1922, leaving nine to enter LNER ownership in 1923. These nine had all been withdrawn by July 1926.

LNER Class D32

Twelve engines ordered in 1905 and built at Cowlairs in 1906–07. The LNER began to fit superheated boilers in 1923 and classified the superheated locomotives D32/2. The non-superheated locomotives were classified D32/1.

LNER Class D33

Twelve engines built at Cowlairs in 1909–10. The LNER fitted superheaters to all the D33s between 1925 and 1936.

LNER Class D34

Ten engines built at Cowlairs in 1913. Twenty-two engines built between 1917 and 1920. All the D34s were built with superheaters.

The class ended with no 62498.

This model, shown by W Scott at Harrogate in 2014 is numbered 62499 and named Glen Rowan. It was one of the models shown by the 7.25” Gauge Society on its regularly impressive display of fine large locos.

The Glens were long lived. Withdrawals began in 1946 and all the final D34s were withdrawn in 1961. One, 256 Glen Douglas (BR number 62469) has been preserved by the Scottish Railway Preservation Society. It is now on display at the Riverside Museum in Glasgow.